Thursday, 14 February 2013

The Ship Canute

A ship arrived in 1867 and I originally thought my ancestor might have been on board but now think I have proven that it wasn't him.

Anyway, the Canute had only 36 passengers.  It arrived on 7 April 1867 and the following report from the Press, 8 April 1867, details the journey:

The fine ship Canute arrived in harbor and anchored off Rhode's bay at half-past three p.m.yesterday (Sunday). Captain Quain reports leaving the London docks on the 9th December, 1866, and the Downs on the 19th of the same month. The pilot left the ship off the Start on December 22nd. Experienced fine moderate weather with light winds down Channel. Crossed the line thirty-five days out; light trade winds. The south-east trades were very light and variable. Passed the Cape seventy days out, when she experienced some rough and bad weather. Sighted the Snares on the 3rd April, and the Nuggets on the 4th. Made the land at the Heads on Saturday night, with light variable winds. Entered the Heads yesterday with a good north-east wind, and anchored as above. Several vessels were signalled on the voyage, but their names were not ascertained. The Canute brings thirty-six passengers in all. All well on board. 

Passengers were:

Canute, Ship, Quain, from London. Passengers—saloon Mr James Mainwaring; Second-cabin Alexis and Mrs Jane Lebin, Miss Margaret Lebin, John Garbut, W. H. Berkeley, Albert Walker, Frank, George, Samuel, and Charles Wallace, Miss Agnes Hanna; steerage Thomas and Miss Margt. Easter, Henry and Mrs Maria Rose, Henry Luff, George Hatch, Thomas Payne, Wm. J. Clarke, Robert, Florence, and Ann West, Charles Barnutt, Mrs Martha Willis, Ann and Martha Willie, John Read, John and Mrs Ann Patrick, Lucy, Edmund, Edith, Thomas, William, and Mary Patrick.

A report in the Lyttelton Times goes a little further in the description:

The Canute left London Docks on Dec. 9, and the Downs on Dec. 19th, having favourable weather to the Start, where the pilot left on the 22nd. Has light favourable winds to the Line which was crossed on. the 35th day out afterwards experienced light variable S.E. trades; and on reaching the longitude of the Cape of Good Hope on the 70th day out, met with bad weather, which continued for some days. Sighted the Snares on the 3rd. April, passed the Nuggets on the 4th and arrived off the Heads yesterday at 1 p.m., reaching the lower anchorage at 3 p.m. There is but one passenger, in the saloon, but there are several in the second cabin and steerage, all well.  Captain Quain reports that he escaped the large field of ice seen by late arrivals off Leuwin. A quantity of valuable plants addressed to Mr Robinson appear to have come out in excellent order, also two or three pens of very fine sheep. The vessel, which is about 600 tons, [note this is incorrect, she was actually 1391 tons] and of recent build, is a specimen of cleanliness, and appears well found. When ready to discharge her cargo she will be a convenient vessel to bring alongside the wharf for that purpose. Messrs J. T. Peacock and Co. are the agents. Lyttelton Times, April 6.
The ship captained by Captain Quain (sometimes spelt Quinn) was cleared on about 26 June 1867 for Callao, probably to pick up guano from the Chinchas Islands.  

The ship was built by Thomas Hilyard of St John, New Brunswick, Canada and had a long life:   "Hilyard gained a high reputation as a shipbuilder. The Canute, 1,391 tons, built in 1863, was advertised for sale 16 years later by one of England’s most reputable shipbrokers as “The very fine St. John built ship . . . built under special survey, by Hilyard. . . .” The ship was still afloat in 1905 in the United States as the barge Nyack."  See here for more details on the ship builder.

I'm not writing a book on this ship but just thought I'd mention it seeing I had researched it a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment